Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Social Media - Twitter



Opportunities - I see Twitter as an opportunity to expand my circle of professional acquaintances. I have used it to build relationships with other teachers and administrators. It has been a useful tool for networking and research. When I have been looking for ideas and solutions to difficult situations, I have searched certain content through the use of hashtags. I routinely browse the "home" screen looking for interesting topics. I also use it to follow certain news outlets for updates.

Drawbacks - I have used Facebook for several years but I never really "enjoyed" using Twitter. I find it to be somewhat impersonal. It does not really encourage true conversation between educators. It tends to be one-liners and retweets. I sometimes see the same weblink retweeted by several people that I follow. It gets a little repetitive. I also have a hard time with the 140 character limit. It doesn't allow people to complete thoughts. I also find the Twitter abbreviations and symbols confusing and prevents creative expression. I'm really hoping that the experiences from this lesson will help me get past some of my negativity towards this type of social media.






No comments:

Post a Comment