Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Universal Design for Learning



Reflection - The text-to-speak feature of the iPad would be very useful in many situations. I would use this with students who struggle with reading and sounding out new words. This would allow them to be able to hear the information read to them to increase understanding. It would also be great during times of research when a student wants to read information that is above their reading level. I also like this feature myself. When I am unable to find the time to read the text myself, I can listen to the text being read. The only thing that I don't like about this feature is the "computer voice." For students who struggle with fluency, the voice they listen to sounds choppy and broken up. I don't think that will help them when trying to read smoothly, with emotion and feeling.


Reflection - This would be a great feature when it comes to those students who easily get off task and wander to other sites, especially advertisements that pop-up. The guided access feature will keep them on the chosen app and will limit the areas they can access within the app. If the iPad is passed from student to student during class time, the guided access feature will ensure that each student have access to the same apps. I also like the time limit feature. This would make the use of the iPad more fair when used among several students. I do see that it could be a problem if the time turns off in the middle of a game or activity that is being timed. My students love to play Sumdog but if the time ended in the middle of a competition, I could see that that would be frustrating. 





No comments:

Post a Comment